How to build a hydroponic garden?
Hydroponic gardening is a unique method of growing plants in your house without soil. A hydroponic garden does not take much space in your house, and you can grow multiple herbs, veggies, and even some fruits without soil. Moreover, it is proven that plants grow faster through the hydroponic gardening method than the traditional method.
Every plant needs proper sunlight, an adequate amount of water and carbon dioxide, and nutrients to grow properly. In traditional gardening, plant roots tend to take nutrients from the soil. It requires constantly adding nutrients to the soil to keep the plant healthy and growing. Whereas in a hydroponic garden, required nutrients are dissolved in the water that surrounds the roots. Through this, plants have easier access to the nutrition they need to grow.
Constructing A Hydroponic System
To build a hydroponic garden, you need to build a system that supports such a method. With a good and proper hydroponic system, you can quickly develop a hydroponic garden.
Build the Flood Table
The flood table in the hydroponic garden holds the water for the garden. One can build a reliable and straightforward flood table from wood. The length and width of the flood table depend on how many plants you wish to grow.
Make A Reliable Moving Platform
For the healthy growth of any plant, it is essential to keep the roots healthy. In a hydroponic garden, make a moving platform to stop the roots and soil from decomposing.
Cut Enough Holes
It would help if you cut enough holes in the wood to fit all the plants comfortably. Tiny space for plants can hinder their growth, and this could affect all the other plants.
Add Drip Emitters to the Flood Table
It is essential to add a drip emitter to the flood table to ensure that the water does not stay still on the flood table. You can easily find the required items at a local gardening store or nursery.
Stood the Flood Table on a Stand
For proper plant growth, ensure that the flood table is elevated on a stand or stool and place a bucket underneath it. The water drips from the flood table and gets collected in the bucket. Try to place your flood table in a place where it gets proper sunlight.
Use Enough Water
Add water to your flood table to fill it halfway. Usually, flood water requires 19 to 75 liters of water. After some time, add water that suits the size of your plants. Keep in mind that overdosing on the water can damage your plants.
Use Grows Lights for Indoor Hydroponic Garden
If you don’t have enough space to grow a hydroponic garden outdoors, you can grow inside your house. However, the hydroponic garden requires proper sunlight, especially for those plants that need more sunlight to grow. If you plan to make a hydroponic garden inside your house, you need to grow lights.
For the growth of your plants, add fertilizers to your plants every 15 days. Plants need proper nutrients and vitamins for their healthy growth. Fertilizers give those nutrients to the roots and soil. Whether you have a hydroponic garden or a traditional garden, adding fertilizers to your plants is essential. You can easily buy the best fertilizers at your nearest nursery.
· A hydroponic garden is best for growing leafy vegetables like Spinach, Lettuce, Mint, Basil, Kale, and Dill.
· Choose the plants that require a similar amount of water and sunlight.
· You can quickly expand your hydroponic garden to grow more vegetables and fruits.
· Always start with a base that gives moisture and air to your plants. Plants need proper air to grow. Make two to three holes in your pot for proper airflow.
· You can either grow plants by using seeds or saplings.
· Keep in mind, don’t add too much water at one time. Add little water at the proper time interval.
Maintaining your Hydroponic Garden
· Water your plants at the base daily.
· If you notice that the plant roots have started to rot or decompose, move their position and water them twice a day.
· It takes almost a week to fill the bucket when water flows out of the drip emitter. You can add another plant to the bucket, which requires excessive water. Timely add the fertilizers and nutrients for their proper nourishment.
· Make sure that your plants are getting appropriate sunlight. If you are growing plants outdoors, they will get approximately 6-7 hours of direct sunlight.
· If you are growing your plants indoors, place the required amount of grow light to give your plants artificial sunlight. Sunlight is important for every plant. While some need low sunlight, some plants require 4-5 hours of constant sunlight.
Building a hydroponic garden is easy if you have adequate space and tools. Grow fresh vegetables and fruits in your home and make your family healthy and happy.